H. P. LOVECRAFT'S "THE SHADOW OUT OF TIME" -part one



Let's see if this light blue text on black background works. Oh, yes, easy to read. Strangely, of late I've been missing my ability to record videos on YouTube. I used to be able to go and record/download directly there, but they've changed ye system and made it too difficult for computer-clueless goons like me to easily recird video blogs. Doing videos there was a great outlet for my exhibitionist proclivities and my love of wearing bizarre makeup. 

Things here are slow-going. I'm trying to work up ye energy to begin writing a non-Lovecraftian yarn for one of S. T.'s forthcoming anthologies--but I'm finding it difficult to enter into ye writing zone, to think like a writer and actually begin to weave a story in my head. My first "draft", so to speak, is always a mental outline, where I brood on an idea and try to dream a story in vague inner visuals. I usually don't have a lot of writing energy until I begin to work on a new book--& then I become obsessive and write furiously. But I simply can't begin to work on any new book, or begin to shape what such a book wou'd consist of, what will be its theme or plot motif. This doesn't feel like writer's block--it feels like boredom.

One rather surprising aspect of not writing is that I am feeling very little in the way or beginning work on a book of stories in the Clark Ashton Smith tradition. I wou'd have thought that Smith's fiction, whut I adore, wou'd certainly inspire a new fictive direction and fresh new work--but I simply don't know where to begin inye writing of such tales. In a way, this is a good sign--it's difficult to begin because I'm really trying to do something "different" and "new" compar'd to my old Lovecraftian work. 

I'm not stressing too much about not writing because I have two new books forthcoming--perhaps both to be publish'd this year. They are both utterly Lovecraftian, one being a novel written in collaboration with David Barker and set entirely in Lovecraft's dreamalnds; & ye other being a new, massively-illustrated edition of my finest newer work (stuff that I've written in ye past decade). I think as ye time of publication for those books draws nearer I'll begin to feel that aesthetic fit that results in new stories. 

Hope this finds ye well, my ducks.


Comments

  1. Over the past few years you have put out a substantial body of new work and collaborations. Wonderful stuff. It sounds like a change of direction is being called for, hence the space to work with ye CAS stuff. Sometimes we need to step back, stand on the highest point we can reach and look back at all we have accomplished before we can turn to the next inspiration. I wish you joy of knowing your past, peace of the present reflection and bright hope on the path to come. In old traditions Hecate is the queen of the crossroads. May she guide you gently on. G. ;-)=

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts