They Haunt Me Still, ye Gaunts


Well, they both use ye incorrect "But ho!"  It should be "But oh!"  A minor thing, but it gnaws at me every time I hear the incorrect phrase.  Here it is, corrected; the font used is a replication of HPL's actual handwriting:
I am very partial to ye night-gaunts.  For me they are one of H. P. Lovecraft's perfect horrors--incomprehensible and evocative, creations of genius.  And for my newest book, Bohemians of Sesqua Valley, I have finally written my definitive tale of ye gaunts, "A Quest of Dream."  I've just suggested to Gwabryel that he paint a jacket illustration inspired by ye tale -- I want night-gaunts on the cover of my book.

Here is just a wee description from my story:

One member of the horde floated to me and hovered just above the ground.  I thrilled to the sound of its membranous wings beating in the air, at the rich smell of its ghastly inky flesh.  As it hovered close before me rich moonlight fell upon its facelessness, and on that slate of jet I saw a vague reflection of my own visage."

How rich and rare, to be so haunted by a creation of fancy.  What wondrous creatures of disturbed dreaming they are, these gaunts!



I am now beginning work on another book inspir'd completely by H. P. Lovecraft's Fungi from Yuggoth.  This will be a huge collection of thirty-six stories between 2,000 and 3,000 words.  I was going to write one beginning tale of six-thousand words using the first three of E'ch-Pi-El's sonnets, which are connected and tell a wee tale; but nigh I think that I will write three separate tales for each of the first three sonnets in ye Fungi.  I also need to reread Lovecraft's "The Book," in which he seems to have try'd to write a short story inspir'd by those first three sonnets.


Okay, let us return to daemonic visions of night-gaunts, & allow them to usher us into deprav'd realms of nightmare, wherein we laugh and weep in ecstasy.



Comments

Popular Posts