Oy, whut a night...


Last night was one of the worst in my entire life. I am prone to be mindless in social settings, which is why I prefer to stay home and be alone. When it comes to trying to find places that I have been to only once, it is often impossible, I get lost so easily when driving and have absolutely no sense of direction. I got dressed up, did an extra-careful makeup, and drove to S. T. Joshi's pad, where his charming wife Mary made us one of ye finest meals I have ever eaten (she is a magnificent cook). Then I drove S. T. to the church were his choral group was to practice for a couple hours before that evening's performance. It was in a part of town I hadn't ever been to, and after dropping him off I got bloody turned around and lost while trying to find my way back to his house, where I was to hang-out with Mary until concert time, then drive her to the concert, and afterwards drive them to the airport for their midnight flight. It took me a wretchedly long time to find my way to Mary, only to find a note on the door saying that she had gone ahead and driven herself to the concert and would see me there! Their neighbor Jim's wife also performs in the singing group, so I had him call Mary and tell her that I would just stay at their place until they returned from the concert, as I didn't want to risk getting lost again trying to find the church. Ye neighbor let me into the house, where I sat for over an hour and completely read ye new E.O.D. mailing and read ye liner notes (in the form of a three page interview with S. T.) on the new record featuring S. T.'s reading of five Clark Ashton Smith poems. The record is from Cadabra Records and in available on vinyl only, in three different colours! S. T.'s reading is superb--but his own phonograph doesn't play ye 45 RPM speed, so he hasn't been able to listen to his own copy of ye 45. 


They finally got home and were very sweet about my pathetic getting lost and not attending ye concert. The important ting was that I would be able to drive them to the airport for their night flight. Perhaps fearing that I wou'd get lost on ye way to the airport, Mary offer'd to drive us there, and I happily agreed, It felt rather weird being a passenger in my own car--but we made excellent time. It had been a very long day for me, and being social tends to weary me, so I was tired driving home from the airport--and naturally I got lost. The way that I thought was the road ye direct way to Martin Luther King Jr Way and my neighborhood turned out not to be. But I finally did arrive, and although I was near-to-death with exhaustion, I couldn't sleep until I had listen'd to S. T.'s reading on ye 45 disc. I over-slept and thus missed going to church this morning, whut really bummed me out. I love going to Sacrament Meeting. 

So I've been taking a lot of naps to-day, but just can't feel fully awake or alert, and that means working on new fiction is out of the question, because when writing I need all my mental facilities working. I told myself that I would be totally non-social for months--but actually, Mary and S. T. are having their memorial cook-out on ye 30th--so I'll be gong to that. But after that, I return to seclusion!



Comments

  1. I feel for you, Wilum! Many is the time I've suffered getting lost.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you are safe, at least. ST and Mary seem like really lovely people. How good to have friends like that. Sending strengthening vibes.... G ;-)=

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everyone has bad days. Don't let it get you down. You seem like such a good person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And i really miss your youtube videos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And i really miss your youtube videos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everyone has bad days. Don't let it get you down. You seem like such a good person.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Wilum, many of us miss your vlogs but understand the difficulties Youtube put you under. It would be good if there wert another form for your input - perhaps Mike Davis' Lovecraft eZine weekly meetup could help? Just a thought. Hope thou art well. ;-)=

    ReplyDelete
  8. M. Pugmire, may I ask if you have read Mr. Simon Bucher-Jones Le Roi En Jeune/King In Yellow? Do realize one is imposing oneself somewhat, as your energies are called to serve better things, but you are nonpareil in these matters. Where would I be without your recommendation of Clark Ashton Smiths translation of Baudelaire?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts