Orange Cthulhu


It's orange! It's eldritch!
To celebrate their 70th anniversary, Penguin Classics has re-issued a number of volumes as part of an Orange Collection series. Although I am a dead serious Lovecraftian, I confess that I love ye whimsical cover illustration for this new edition of S. T.'s first edited volume of H. P. Lovecraft's weird fiction for Penguin. When I once ask'd S. T. what he thought was his best edition of HPL, he said he consider'd this book the single finest edition. This new edition in the Orange Collection contains Lovecraft's texts only; it does not include Joshi's Introduction or his Notes at ye back of ye book. For those strange readers who find S. T.'s annotations invasive and/or irritating, this then is ye edition for you. 


It is, of course, a fine edition of some of Lovecraft's best work, although I confess that my own favourite volume in ye Penguin series is ye second, The Thing on the Doorstep and Other Weird Stories. Penguin notes on ye inside cover flap: "For the 70th anniversary of Penguin Classics, we present the Penguin Orange Collection, celebrating the heritage of Penguin's iconic book design and twelve influential American literary classics from the breadth and diversity of the Penguin Classics library." So H. P. Lovecraft has ye honour of being one of a mere 12 writers to be so represented. Damn rad!


I just sign'd & return'd my contract for Black Wings VI: New Tales of Lovecraftian Horror. S. T. accepted my story "To Move Beneath Autumnal Oaks," which I had originally written for another anthology, Autumn Cthulhu. I am very happy that the story will now appear in a handsome hardcover edition from PS Publishing, and then reprinted in trade pb by Titan Books, thus getting far more distribution than it wou'd have otherwise. My tale is set in Sesqua Valley--one of ye few Sesqua tales of mine that will appear in a hardcover anthology, hooray! 



In keeping with ye Orange theme, I try'd to find a photo of Streisand in orange attire, but this is ye best I cou'd do. This is Babs filming UP THE SANDBOX in Africa. I rather adore ye sign behind her.

Comments

  1. The new orange edition is indeed a handsome volume. As an inveterate collector of Lovecraft paperbacks I couldn't wait to get my hands on one.
    Congratulations on Black Wings VI by the way. I really must stop procrastinating and get a copy of the 5th collection. There's always a little more room in the bookcase it seems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One is pleasantly surprised. The Oxford edition was so infelicitously snooty http://stjoshi.org/review_luckhurst.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never saw "Up the Sandbox" - Barbara's Penguin Orange outfit is amazing. Given the price of the Penguin in the UK I will be skipping this in favour of my Deluxe Penguin (brilliant production with deckled edging) and Penguin Classics edition with S T Joshi's fabulously detailed Notes section. All the beast, G ;-)=

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very helpful suggestions that help in the optimizing website. thank for sharing the link.

    หนังไทย

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts