And Now the Screaming Starts! (1973) Trailer


I recorded ye video above when my laptop was making a horrendous humming sound during ye recording of videos. My opinion of the film has risen since I recorded the video, and I now consider it a very good film indeed.
And Now the Screaming Starts is one of my favourite horror films, based on ye superb Gothic novel, FENGRIFFEN, by David Case. Mr Case pass'd away recently, & that inspir'd me to watch ye film again, and to do a search this morning on audio books read by David Case (who, although he was American, has a rather British sound to his performance voice). I fell in love with his voice when I borrow'd his reading of Richard Ellmann's biography of Oscar Wilde (Knopf 1988) from our public library, at ye beginning of my long deep adoration of Wilde that began after seeing him portray'd in a British telly series, LILLIE. I've never found a copy of that audio for sale; but just to-day I discover'd a reading by Mr Case of THE PICTURE OF DORIAN GRAY on cassette tape, whut I have just order'd. I think I have two other unabridged readings of Wilde's novel somewhere in ye house. 

For me, FENGRIFFEN remains the perfect Gothic horror novel. I have for many years felt a desire to write a similar novel, inspired by FENGRIFFEN but set in Sesqua Valley. I feel I may yet compose such a volume. And dedicate it to ye memory of David Case.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts